Saturday, September 8, 2007

As requested: Greek Goddess

The original name of the recipe is Chicken Pesto Pizza. Our group is really goofey. When we get together we love to rename recipes to suit our sense of humor and this last meeing my chicken pizza and the ziplock chicken recipes received better names. It's one of the fun things about working together. This month we decided to try something very new with our group. We now meet over the noon hour and thought it would be fun if someone provided lunch that could be a future freezer meal. It was my turn this month and I suggested that we try a family favorite that was passed on to me down the line. It originated with our Associate Pastor's wife. She didn't give me the recipe so I'm sure that it has been modified over and over again to the point that she would recognize it but not say it is the same. Another thing that I love about sharing our cooking experiences. :)

Anyway the recipe is fairly greek in origin because of the feta cheese. You can adapt to suit your families needs. It also originated as a PIZZA, not a stromboli or calzone. But I adapted it because a stromboli just fits better into the freezer, not to mention how much easier it is to package.

Now that I talked your ear off, here's the recipe. Quanities are non existant because I never had quanitites. LOL

Greek Godess (or Chicken Pesto Pizza/Stromboli/Calzone)

1 dough ball of your choice
(I suggest that you try Rhodes bread dough loaves or get dough balls from Sam's!)
Olive Oil
Pesto Sauce, prepared
(I get the package of Knorr but since I'm making a larger quanity I will buy it premade from Sam's)
Cooked Chopped Chicken (however you like it cooked! Use leftovers)
1 Roma Tomato, chopped
1 Red Onion, chopped
Crumbled Feta Cheese
1/2 cup Italian Cheese
(optional toppings: Artichokes, Black Olives)
egg
packet of italian dressing

Grease a cookie sheet with Olive Oil. Preheat oven to about 350 degrees. Allow the dough to rise and then roll it out into an oval. Spread the Pesto Sauce onto the dough down the center. Top with all the other ingredients in whatever order you like. I prefer the cheese to be on top when I'm working with a stromboli but if it is pizza, I like all the veggies on top.

For the stromboli, cut the edges of the dough so that you can braid it. If that is too complicated, then just fold and seal the dough and cut some slats on the top to allow it to steam. Mix 1 egg and the italian dressing and brush that on top of the dough.

Place into the hot oven and allow it to bake. I don't have a time but it will smell soooooo good and you will want to dive right into it! LOL You'll know when it is done because it will be a nice golden brown all around.

Serve with a salad or a Greek Pasta salad. ENJOY! Questions? Ask!

2 comments:

CrazyDeb said...

Found it Janet! Thank you for letting me know where it is. You all crack me up with the tale of changing names. You are a great group of ladies!!

Hugs!

Kelly said...

how do you freeze your stromboli? I saw a hint somewhere on the blog about only cooking it part of the way - but how long is "part of the way"? Also, do you wrap it in plastic wrap, put into a large baggie, aluminum foil? Love the blog and thanks for your group allowing others to learn from what they do!! :D